List:       hypermail
Subject:    Re: Breaking up large archives?
From:       "Darryl Lee" <lee () darryl ! com>
Date:       2000-07-06 17:15:12

> Hi,
>
> I wonder: Is it possible to configure Hypermail in a way that he
> automatically breaks the archive up (say in monthly chunks)?
>
> I have a rather large archive at: http://spam.zyn.de and the loading times
> are horrible....
>
> Thanks.

Here's my embarrassingly ugly solution for splitting ongoing archives
into months.  (i really should rewrite it in Perl, as shell scripts
are quite disgusting.)  i simply have a cron job run the following
script at 12:01am on the 1st of every month.  It simply creates a
new directory every month (200006/ for instance), and then moves
everything from current/ into it.  It then copies a blank index
file into that directory in case somebody stumbles upon it before
there have been any new messages archived:

 cd /webadmin/home/web2/notyou/public_html/winmac
 mkdir `date -v -1m "+%Y%m"`
 mv current/*.html `date -v -1m "+%Y%m"`
 cp index.empty current/index.shtml

But since you're also trying to split up an already existing archive,
if you don't have the messages in mbox format, first use the tool
that came with hypermail (contrib/hypetombox.pl) for converting
messages back into mbox format, and then grab the very handy perl
script mms (mailbox month splitter) and let it have at it.
(http://www.netrus.net/users/troc/perl.html)

Have fun.  :}

--
Darryl Lee <lee@darryl.com> | Bore yourself silly: <http://www.darryl.com>