List:       hypermail
Subject:    [hypermail] How to split the archives into months?
From:       "Paul F. Williams" <paul.williams () uwex ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-13 23:38:34

I am trying to get hypermail to separate postings
by month and year but I am not having much success.

We have been running hypermail for a number of years on an
AIX system but I wasn't able to compile the latest version of
hypermail on the system so decided to move to a new system.

The system is Redhat Linux 7.2.

I have hypermail 2.1.6 installed and it appears to work.

I am using the method

test-list-archives:"|/usr/local/bin/hypermail -i -u -c
/home/hypermail/test.rc -d /var/www/html/archives/test-list -l \"Test List
Archive\" "

but it doesn't seem to do anything other than the old method
with author, subject etc.

I created the rc file by running hypermail > test.rc
then modified a number of entries according to the docs
I could find.

Am I missing something.

We do not have the emails in an mbox format but process them as they
come in.  This has led to a problem on the AIX system with huge
number of messages being indexed.

Another question.

If one has a huge indexed list (no mbox file) is there a way
to delete some messages?  Or is it possible to redo the directory
archive so one can separate postings into year/month sections.

Thanks

paulw