List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: escape codes in command strings
From:       Sam Leffler <sam () hyla ! chez ! sgi ! com>
Date:       1996-08-29 18:19:04

    To:  Glenn Burkhardt <glenn@aoi.ultranet.com>
    Cc:  flexfax@sgi.com
    Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 20:21:07 PDT
    From:  Sam Leffler <sam@hyla>

        To:  flexfax@sgi.com
        Subject:  escape codes in command strings
        Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:20:02 EDT
        From:  Glenn Burkhardt <glenn@aoi.ultranet.com>

        There is also an error in the man page for config for the <delay:N>
        escape sequence.  The actual delay implemented is N*100 ms.

    The code is again wrong; the documentation is correct.  I will fix the
    code to reflect the documentation.  There is a tradeoff here between
    the granularity of the delay and the maximum duration.  I selected the
    minimum granularity that most unix systems can support (10ms) which
    gives a maximum delay of 255x10ms = 2.55secs.  I could have chosen a
    large granularity w/ a long max delay but given the potential applications
    decided on the 10ms granularity.  If you can think of a plausible case
    for a large max delay I'd be interested.

On reflection I now recall that the issue with the maximum delay is not an
issue at all because you can just insert multiple <delay> escapes to get a
delay longer than 2.55 seconds.

         Sam