List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: HylaFAX + Ghostscript on IRIX 6.2
From:       Sam Leffler <sam () hyla ! chez ! sgi ! com>
Date:       1996-08-24 15:36:37

    To:  flexfax@sgi.com
    Subject:  HylaFAX + Ghostscript on IRIX 6.2
    Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:42:20 MDT
    From:  "Wolfgang Baudler" <baudler@caravaggio.gsf.de>

    >From baudler Fri Aug 23 10:38:27 1996
    From: "Wolfgang Baudler" <baudler@caravaggio.gsf.de>
    Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:38:26 -0600
    To: baudler, flexfax@sgi.com
    Subject: Hylafax + Ghostscript RIP on IRIX 6.2

    Hello,

    Sorry, maybe a stupid question but I tried to install the new
    HylaFAX v4.0beta020 on an IRIX 6.2 system. I always read in the
    documentation, that I have to use the Ghostscript RIP provided in
    fw_gs.sw.gs, but nowhere I read how to do this.

    I installed fw_gs.sw.gs, run faxsetup and it always tries to use
    the old coff thing... I tried to change the faxsetup script so that
    it defaults to gs, but sendfax still tries to use the coff executable.

    Have I missed something? How do I tell HylaFAX not to use the coff RIP.

You don't indicate if you are working from a binary or source distribution.

The binary distribution should come already configured to use Ghostscript
so all you should need to do is install fw_gs and run faxsetup.  If you
install the DPS-based RIP however then you will clobber the symbolic link
for /var/spool/fax/bin/ps2fax and need to reset that so that it points to
ps2fax.gs instead of ps2fax.dps.  This can be done manually or by removing
the HylaFAX binary distribution and then reinstalling it.

If you are working from a source distribution you just configure DPS=gs
when you setup a build environment.

It is also simple to alter the default PostScript RIP used by faxsetup;
just edit the shell script to change the initial setting for the PS variable
before running the script.  There currently is no mechanism to select an
alternate RIP through prompts; I'll add an option to set this from the
faxsetup command line.

        Sam