List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: tracing of tag line?
From:       Dominique Petitpierre <petitp () divsun ! unige ! ch>
Date:       1995-07-27 22:33:35

Hi Sam!

You write:
>The imaged tag line is completely defined by the format string and
>the contents of the modem config file and the job q file.

That is true of many logged lines (Examples:  Modem set baud rate, modem
initialisation string, CONVERT POSTSCRIPT).  I find them very useful!

> I can see no reason why it should be logged.

Here are some:

1) Keep a history of what was done during a session and when (what logs are
   for!).  Example:  when I ask myself if I did or didn't disable the tag
   line insertion for that particular session.  (what I would need now!).

2) Be able to easily match transmission session logs with received fax
   pages.  (Example:  You could ask on the phone to your remote
   correspondant, "Did you get the page labeled '12:45:07 Page 2 of 3'?
   How does it look?  What about the retransmission labeled '12:46:21'?".
   Or he could tell you "I didn't receive the page labeled with "Page 25 of
   50", and you could more easily find the corresponding log section to see
   what happened.

3) Find out for sure what happens in odd cases (not just deduce it from the
   doc or ask the remote correspondant what he received).  Example:  when
   there is a problem with the font (inaccessible) or when you wonder what
   page number was used when a sub part of a document is retransmitted in a
   subsequent call.

It is not essential I agree, but convenient.
May be one day, when you happen to come across that part of the code,
you'll think "Why not"... :-).

Best regards,
Dominique

Mr. Dominique Petitpierre    | Internet: petitp@divsun.unige.ch
ISSCO, University of Geneva  | X400: C=ch; ADMD=arcom; PRMD=switch;
54 route des Acacias         |       O=unige; OU=divsun; S=petitp
CH-1227 GENEVA (Switzerland) | Tel: +41/22/705 7117 | Fax: +41/22/300 1086