List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: client-only installation?
From:       Sam Leffler <sam () hyla ! chez ! sgi ! com>
Date:       1995-03-29 7:26:09

    To:  flexfax@sgi.sgi.com
    Subject:  client-only installation?
    Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:25:53 EST
    From:  Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>

    Is it possible to only install the client binaries?  Here's why I ask:

It's easy from IRIX inst images; just install the client packages.

    The machine that I'm running HylaFAX on a server that is supposed to be
    reliable in the case of our AFS servers going down.  As a result, we don't
    want any of the HylaFAX binaries or config files to be on network partitions.
    No problem, it's easy to configure them all local.  But for general use we
    want all the client-side programs to be made available via AFS.  This is also
    not a big deal, but since I specifically _don't_ want to install the server
    programs then the "make install" fails.  I could copy them all by hand, but
    I was wondering if there was an easier way.  I didn't see anything obvious in
    the Makefile

I've previously requested mods to the Makefiles to do a
"make client/make server", but never received anything.
Since I have no need for it...

    Oh, if it was possible to tell the configure programs that the binaries live
    in place "foo", but copy them to place "bar", that would be nice as well :-)
    (This is a oddity related to AFS).  This isn't a big deal, though.

This is all handled for me when building IRIX binary distributions.
It might be easiest to hack port/install.sh to do what you want.

    Sam