List:       hylafax
Subject:    Question re flexfax directories
From:       Christopher Lott <lott () informatik ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       1995-02-28 10:13:28

Dear Flexfax users,

We are still trying to get flexfax installed.  We use SunOS 4.1.3_U1
and have a Creatix 1&1 modem.  (The modem is not described anywhere in
the ff distribution, unfortunately, but it uses a Rockwell chip and so
far has worked pretty well on a macintosh and a sun).

My question concerns the "Spool" directory.  Clearly the fax server
will need a writable directory on the machine where it runs to store
up faxes.  However, it appears that the flexfax package also wants to
install a wide variety of binary and configuration files in the
directory ostensibly named the "Spool" directory in the configuration.
Am I making sense so far?

If so, I really dislike the naming.  Here's why.  When we configured
the package for the spool directory, we figured that the server would
store a few data files under /var/spool/fax and that would be all.
However, when we tried "make -n install", we saw many entries such as
"/var/spool/fax/bin", "/var/spool/fax/etc", and so on.

This bugged us.  We keep a strict separation between spool and lib
directories.  I.e., we prefer to keep all binaries and configurations
in /usr/local/lib/*, which just happens to be exported "ro" to all
clients.  The fax server will run on such a client, and we do NOT want
to have config and binary files under /var on that client.  Currently
/var has a few data files that are created when the machine is
running, but not much else.  Certainly no binaries or configs!

So here's the ultimate question.  Can the config directory be
separated from the directory where incoming/outgoing faxes are
spooled?  I'm thinking right now that we'll tell it the "spool
directory" is /usr/local/lib/fax, install the pkg, and then add a link
from /usr/local/lib/fax/<data-spool-directory> off to /var somewhere.
What is the name of that directory?  Is this idea practical and/or
reasonable?  Have I made it clear what we're trying to do?  Is there a
configuration option or file for this?

Thanks for your time and trouble.

chris...
---
"Christopher Lott / Email: lott@informatik.uni-kl.de / Tel: +49 (631) 205-3334"
" Address: FB Informatik - Bau 57 / Universitaet KL / D--67653 Kaiserslautern "
"  World-wide web: http://uomo.informatik.uni-kl.de:2080/Personalia/cml.html  "