List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: FlexFax malfunction due to ghostscript bug (was: PostScript
From:       Greg Earle <earle () isolar ! Tujunga ! CA ! US>
Date:       1995-02-23 19:43:06

> In message <m0rhPm7-0000c8C@aladdin.com>, L. Peter Deutsch wrote:
>
>>> The problem is that ghostscript 2.6.1 makefile fails to set the environment
>>> variable LD_RUN_PATH (on SVr4 systems) prior to the final link step (as it
>>> should).
>>
>> See below as to why it doesn't do this.
>>
>>> Note that these patches introduce a (sorely needed) `configure' script for
>>> ghostscript 2.6.1.  Please read the (patched) make.doc file under the UNIX
>>> section again after you have appled these patches to see the NEW
>>> directions for configuring ghostscript 2.6.1 under UNIX.
>>
>> I do not use 'configure' scripts, because (1) they only work under *some*
>> Unix systems with *some* shells, (2) they seem to require not infrequent
>> running of 'autoconf' as bugs in autoconf are discovered (judging from
>> postings on gnu.utils.bug over the past year), (3) they rely on unknowable
>> subsets of the GNU software being present, and (4) they further complicate
>> an already complicated build process (you have to run 'configure' and then
>> edit the output).
>
> As they say, all generalizations are false... including this one.
>
> [... much edided ...]

Ronald,
	This post has 2 flagrant violations of mailing list ettiquette:

(1) It has absolutely zilch to do with FlexFAX/HylaFAX, so it should not have
    been cc'd to the flexfax list (no, sorry, just because the software
    happens to invoke "gs" doesn't mean it is relevant)

(2) It suffers from massive keyboard diarrhea, or "Why say 100 words when 1000
    would suffice?" syndrome.  As do most of your other postings (don't feel
    bad, I suffer from the same problem myself).  No one wants to wade through
    screenful after screenful of your ranting.  While I feel that some of your
    original points have some merit, some others are easily dealt with (i.e.,
    use of -R in the ghostscript Makefile; for other X-based programs that
    might be used, e.g. ghostview, that burden rests squarely on Sun's
    shoulders to produce a non-drain bamaged "imake" setup, which they have
    steadfastly refused to do so far ... it was embarrasing that I had to make
    a public posting to the newsgroups with patches to make the OW 3.0 "imake"
    setup work, because my employer at the time - Sun - couldn't be bothered
    to do it right, or issue a patch).  And as Sam pointed out, explicit info
    is necessary to be helpful; it doesn't do much good to rant about how
    issuing "&C1" to your WorldBlazer kills it without posting your AT&V output
    because lots of people - me included - have "&C1" in the config file with
    our WorldBlazers and it works just fine.  And so on, and so on.

Please re-read your posts before hitting that "send" key.  Is it relevant to
all the recipients?  Is it something that everyone else will feel compelled
to read, no matter how long?  I'm on many mailing lists, and probably get
250 - 300 pieces of e-mail a day.  There's only so much time.  This post of
yours fails on both counts.

	- Greg