List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: [hylafax-users] Failed to properly open control V.34 channel.
From:       Jeff Dubin <jd-hflist () dreamallday ! com>
Date:       2013-11-21 2:22:54

On 11/20/2013 6:18 PM, Lee Howard wrote:
> On 10/03/2013 06:58 PM, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
>> So, I replaced my modem with a Multi-Tech modem (as folks here
>> recommended), model 'MT9234MU MultiMobile USB 56k Modem', and I'm still
>> having problems. Latest fax failed with "Failed to properly open control
>> V.34 channel."
>>
>> Later (second try), it succeeded. Anything I should/can do?
> So... tell us about your fax phone line.  Is it VoIP?
I was having issues with an MT9234ZBA-USB which looked like phone line
corruption.  I had an identical modem working great on a similar PC, and
the only significant difference I could spot was that usbutils, with
libusb1 as a dependency, was installed. Installing those on the problem
PC fixed things immediately.  The modem is now rock solid, errors are
rare, and it continues to work well.  I'm guessing libusb1 was the
cure.  Don't know why, but it worked for me, and it's something worth
looking into.  I was running CentOS 6.3.  I don't know what OS/distro
you're running, but if appropriate, check out libusb1 (and perhaps
usbutils) and see if that helps.  And if it does, please post back here
to let me know if this really did the trick, or if I just got lucky.

Good luck!
Jeff