List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: [hylafax-users] change default compression type
From:       Lee Howard <faxguy () howardsilvan ! com>
Date:       2009-11-21 20:25:08

Dominique dHotman wrote:
> I've noticed that the default compression type that is used in HylaFAX
> is 1D

It's not.  The "default" (meaning you haven't changed any default
configuration options that involve this decision-making process) when
sending will be determined by the modem support, the HylaFAX build
support (i.e. if JBIG was built-in), and the remote support.

If you're always seeing MH (1D) being used, then it's probably because
you're using a Class 2 modem that only supports MH.

> What is the best way to change this so that it will survive upgrades
> and not break the system?

The answer would depend on what's causing the restriction.

> I remember reading that if HylaFAX tries to send to remote equipment
> and finds that the remote machine cannot accept the format compression
> that it will disconnect reformat the document and then retry.  So I
> want to make sure that I don't make a change somwhere that will
> actually break this functioanlity.

If RTFCC is enabled (ModemSoftRTFCC) and the modem supports the highest
compression (i.e. Class 1 always), then it won't disconnect, reformat,
and retry.  It will simply reformat on-the-fly.

Thanks,

Lee.