List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: [hylafax-users] Easy way to tell if a modem supports DID
From:       "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman () seakr ! com>
Date:       2008-09-21 19:14:22

Phone systems are not my area of expertise, so you'll have to forgive me if my \
questions sound ignorant.  The only modem I've been able to find that specifically \
says it supports DID is a MultiTech modem.
I've been told by my PBX vendor that my phone system does support DID signaling on \
analog lines.  I've already configured my fax system for shielded DTMF signaling for \
fax "extensions" to route faxes, so I know I can do that - I was specifically \
wondering about a modem that supports DID.  The MultiTech one is listed at $400.  \
That's not a huge amount, but more than I have a budget for right now, so I was \
trying to find something a little less expensive.  Anyway, I still would appreciate \
recommendations for DID-enabled modems if anyone has them.
-Nick

Nick Couchman wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knows if there's an easy way to tell from
> modem spec sheets whether or not a modem supports DID signaling.

You would know without needing to ask.  Really.

> Do most of the ones that support this functionality say it, is it
> part of another standard, etc.?

No, most modems do not support DID primarily because DID is not an
option on a POTS line.

> Anyone have any recommendations for a modem that does support this?

You would need a special line that provides DID in order to use a modem
that supports DID.  The modem would need to correspond with the line,
and thus providing a list for all of them would be further confusing to you.

> Also, for the modems I do have, is there a command I can issue to the
> modem that will tell me whether or not the modem supports this?

No.

> I'm having trouble figuring out whether my phone system is not
> sending down DID information or if the modem is not receiving it, and
> if I could determine if the modem supports it or not, that would help
> me in figuring out what I should look at first.

Hrmm... "my phone system".  Ah, I suspect that you're talking about DTMF
digits being sent after the call goes off-hook.  That's technically not
DID... although your phone system documentation may refer to it as such
simply because the DTMF digits correspond to the DID received by it.

Search for "SHIELDED_DTMF" in 'man hylafax-config'
(http://hylafax.sourceforge.net/man/hylafax-config.php).  In the
HylaFAX+ version of that man page there's even an example there that
probably will work with your USR modem.

Thanks,

Lee.

  *To learn about commercial HylaFAX(tm) support, mail sales@ifax.com.*

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the \
intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are not \
responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient, please note \
that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR) Privileged/Proprietary \
Information.  In such a case, you are strictly prohibited from downloading, \
photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this message, its contents or \
attachments in any way.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us \
immediately by replying to this e-mail and delete the message from your mailbox.  \
Information contained in this message that does not relate to the business of SEAKR \
is neither endorsed by nor attributable to SEAKR.