List:       hylafax
Subject:    Re: [hylafax-users] t38modem, Was: faxing over sip
From:       Steve Underwood <steveu () coppice ! org>
Date:       2007-11-24 19:55:04

Hi,

Lee Howard wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>>> t38modem 1.0.0 (in the OPAL project) supports both SIP and UNIX98
>>> ptys. So... if that code can ever make it out of CVS/SVN then
>>> there's no patching of kernels required.
>>
>> This is VERY encouraging. But without an RPM for RHEL/Centos, I am
>> not going to see it soon. Unless the Trixbox team take on the
>> building of the RPM (as they have for spandsp).
>

> Well, Vyacheslav Frolov (the t38modem author) seems to have
> disappeared for the moment (I guess it's been a few months now, at
> least).  However, a number of people with whom I am acquainted are
> using t38modem 1.0.0 in live, large production use, and they're
> adequately pleased with it.
>
> Over the past month or so I've been working with a T.38-using national
> telco to try to evaluate their service, and I've been using t38modem
> 1.0.0 to do that.  It's been a rocky road thus far (partly due to the
> telco's internal inefficiencies - partly due to my inexperience with
> t38modem in production use), however, if things eventually go well I
> may end up using it on a large scale.
>
> If that happens, then I'll continue to push the OPAL maintainers to
> coordinate a release of OPAL, ptlib, and t38modem that all work
> together.  Once that happens you *should* see RPMs appear in time, and
> if not then I would likely put them together myself.  Until then it's
> a bit tricky to get going as it requires specific-dated code from
> OPAL's new SVN repository (at Sourceforge, if I remember right).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee.
How happy you are with any T.38 implementation is going to depend a lot
on what other implementations you talk too. As we test with more and
more boxes, I find them very quirky. You need to record exact revisions
of the firmware in use when logging a combination of kit as compatible.
Newer revisions are far from guaranteed to be an improvement. :-)

Steve