List:       https-everywhere
Subject:    Re: [HTTPS-Everywhere] release schedule
From:       William Budington <bill () eff ! org>
Date:       2016-06-07 22:19:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello Jonas,

Last month, I instituted a system by which ruleset maintainers are notified of a \
forthcoming release with a Github issue:

https://github.com/EFForg/https-everywhere/issues/4710

This is helpful for maintainers to finish up any work on pending rulesets or features \
that might be in the pipeline.

There is also a tag for this: "release-forthcoming," to easily group these type of \
issues.

Since this process has been instituted, a new milestone has been added to the project \
- "Before Next Release," to mark issues that are particularly pressing and should be \
resolved before the next release.

This process is a convenience, but it may not necessarily be followed - for example \
if there is a grave vulnerability and a release needs to be issued immediately.

A little while ago, we decided that our git workflow would be that anything merged \
into master is 'release-ready,' which is why we no longer have a branch specifically \
for features that are in pre-release stages.

As a general rule of thumb, if a ruleset is old enough that it was added to the bulk \
whitelist for validation checks, it's old enough to warrant a complete rewrite.  We \
could be more explicit about this rule of thumb.

The reason for not updating the rulesets over the air is because the rulesets \
themselves require as much of a signoff as the codebase itself, since any rule can \
transparently redirect a user to any arbitrary endpoint.  Because of this, we have to \
subject it to the same signing process.  At that point, might as well make a new \
release.  I'd love to get the release schedule to a couple of times a month.  Since \
taking over the project, the releases have been about once a month.

Hope this helps clarify things,
Bill Budington
Software Engineer
Electronic Frontier Foundation