List:       https-everywhere
Subject:    Re: [HTTPS-Everywhere] Rules not loaded until website is visited
From:       Claudio Moretti <flyingstar16 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-17 23:55:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Jacob Hoffman-Andrews <jsha@newview.org>wrote:

> > It might be the best idea: am I correct in believing you were thinking
> about
> > directly in the sqlite DB when somebody is using the "Enable/disable"
> menu?
>
> To be a little more precise - we already preload the list of host
> target patterns (e.g. "*.eff.org"), but not the rulesets. This change
> would match against the host patterns and then load from the sqlite DB
> any that weren't already loaded.
>
> The search would then be done against the in-memory list of host
> patterns, which includes user-generated rules.

Wouldn't it create problems when you have multiple rules for the same
target? Even if they're not supposed to be there, they are, and I don't
think it's possible to remove them entirely.

I don't know exactly how it works, I'm just asking. If what happens is the
SQL equivalent to "fetch all rule names that match this target host"., my
consideration doesn't apply :)

The only part that worries me is the "and then load from the sqlite DB",
because it doesn't contain (AFAIK) the user-generated rules.
Or (probably) I'm missing something.

Claudio