List:       httpclient-users
Subject:    Re: HttpClient with Resource Adapter?
From:       Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk () apache ! org>
Date:       2011-10-11 18:06:57

On Tue, 2011-10-11 at 00:22 -0700, pjuza wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to ask you about using HttpClient with Resource adapter as
> suggested in issue HTTPCLIENT-720
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-720)?
>
> We need to solve the following problem - we have some connectors (sql, jms,
> quartz, ...) in our system and each connector use global pooling system from
> application server (WAS 7). It's advantegous for us - we can admin, maintain
> and manage these poolers directly in appl. server via administration console
> (btw: this is mainly important for support people, not for us developers).
> Now we need to create new web services connector with using Spring WS and
> HttpClient. And we want to use global poolers from server in the same way as
> for previous connectors.
>
> We got idea that we could create JCA resource adapter in Managed
> Environment. Resource adapter would have one function only and it's pooling.
> Then we would implement new ClientConnectionManager (propably similar to
> SingleClientConnManager) with connection to resource adapter.
>
> Please what do you think about? Is that good idea or not? Is it feasible at
> all? You were discussing something similar in post "HttpCore/HttpClient
> services integration in a J2EE Servlet container" but with different goals.
>
> Thank you very much,
> PETER

Hi Peter

I had to work with HttpClient inside a EJB container on more than one
occasion and every time I found that simply wrapping a HttpClient
instance with a non-pooling connection manager with a stateless session
bean was good enough.

Having said that by any means feel free to re-open HTTPCLIENT-720 and
contribute an HTTP Client Resource Adapter implementation based on
HttpClient 4.x or HttpCore 4.x

Cheers

Oleg