List:       httpclient-users
Subject:    Re: Request for help - httpClient
From:       Roland Weber <http-async () dubioso ! net>
Date:       2006-06-22 13:10:56

Hello Suresh,

> I am  using httpclient 3.0  with WSAD 5.0. I am trying to make Https
> call over the proxy. It looks like https call is made successfully, but
> I am only getting back javascript as response. I am suppose to get back
> a huge html page with lot of content. I appreciate any of your help on
> this.

Here is a snippet of what the server sends back:

> content="0;
> url=http://www.lexis.com/research/xlink?_m=2b44185a137f04a8c516fd75b2bc9
> 5c2&wchp=dGLbVlz-zSkAW&_md5=38db1099dd28aceead9275e131cb73c8&USER_AGENT=

As you have noticed, the response is a bunch of JavaScript. It seems
that the application developer even thought about sending a meta tag
that will trigger a redirect in a browser without JavaScript. However,
all this stuff is in the *content* of the document being returned.
The redirect is not sent as an HTTP redirect. Therefore, it is the
responsibility of your application to make something useful out of it
and to generate another GET request. HttpClient can not interpret
meta tags, let alone JavaScript, in HTML documents. It is not a browser:

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ForAbsoluteBeginners#head-a110969063be34fcd964aeba55ae23bea12ac232

hope that helps,
  Roland