List:       httpclient-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: Collaborate implementing HTTP 2.0 support - HTTPCORE-432
From:       Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk () apache ! org>
Date:       2016-09-26 18:10:58

On Mon, 2016-09-26 at 00:19 -0400, Francisco Carriedo Scher wrote:
> Forked the code in pointer 1 to my own repository.
>

> Followed the steps in pointer 2 to setup my environment and these are
> the results by now:
>       * mvn test OK
>       * mvn install OK
>       * mvn clirr:check FAILS
>       * mvn apache-rat:check OK
>       * mvn compile javadoc:aggregate OK
> About the binary compatibility tests (mvn clirr:check), my impression
> that it is probably comparing the current method signatures with
> previous ones and most of them either changed or just didn't exist as
> the implementation is still very young... Is this it? Is this
> something I can safely ignore at this point?

Hi Francisco

Yes, you can safely ignore binary compatibility tests. They are only
relevant for GA releases.

> I followed the instructions in pointer 4 and I have attached a sample
> of the output of the test execution for the module httpcore5 with
> debug logging enabled (test.log.gz). Quick summary of what I did:
>
>       * Include the dependency of for Log4j in the pom.xml file of the
>         module.
>       * Include the commons-logging.properties file, specifying the
>         facade for the logging implementation.
>       * Include the log4j.properties specifying the appenders,
>         packages and logging level for each package.
>
> If you find it correct, I can include the same configuration for the
> other modules.

Most of the debug logs are still missing. Please note that the base
package has changed from org.apache.http to org.apache.hc.core5. You
should be getting much more output.

> Meanwhile, I will review the pointer 3 to have a look to the new APIs
> and provide some feedback.

The new APIs are not yet ready for a formal review though you are very
much welcome to share your thoughts about the current state of the APIs.

What I would like you to do though is to try to use the new HTTP/2
transport with a popular web server with HTTP/2 support such Apache
HTTP, Nginx or Apache Tomcat. I did some experiments with Jetty but
could not get around to testing with other server implementations. It
would be just awesome if you could help me with that.

Cheers

Oleg