List:       httpclient-commons-dev
Subject:    Re: Too Many Open Files Exception
From:       Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk () apache ! org>
Date:       2011-10-31 22:28:29

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 17:49 -0400, Bill Speirs wrote:
> Yea, I don't think that the IOReactor is the issue... I think something
> else is taking all the sockets and there are none left for the IOReactor to
> call accept.
>
> Do I need to consume all of the data from the entity before calling close
> on the InputStream?

No, you do not.

> For error conditions I thought that I should call
> abort().

Correct. The difference is that EntityUtils#consume will try to salvage
the underlying connection, whereas HttpUriRequest#abort will not.

The important point is to use try-finally to ensure connection release
in all cases.

> Also, if there is a read timeout on a connection to a host and that
> connection is never closed, what happens when I ask the connection manager
> for a connection to that same host/route? Would it still hand-out that bad
> connection?

HttpClient automatically shuts down the underlying connection in case of
an I/O exception including a timeout. The connection manager will evict
closed connection immediately upon release.

Hope this helps

Oleg