List:       httpclient-commons-dev
Subject:    =?UTF-8?Q?Delaying=20response=20generation=20(for=20failed=20login=20att?=
From:       "Joerg Bullmann" <jb () heilancoo ! net>
Date:       2009-04-16 11:48:37

Hi all,

Say I have some kind of login mechansim of a web application. I would like to insert \
an artificial delay of 5 or 10 seconds in case the login fails (due to wrong password \
or user name) to make it a tad more awkward for poeople to break in using the brute \
force method.

Now all I want to do is slow down that connection. How do I do this with the least \
impact on the overall system? I don't just want the worker thread dealing with this \
request to sleep because that effectively blocks it and thus has an impact on the \
rest. I am using HTTP Core NIO.

Which would be a good approach? I have looked at lots of the example code before, but \
do not remember this kind of thing being mentioned.

I am asking because I would like to add this feature in the Little Portal Gizmo \
<http://lipog.sourceforge.net>.

Any pointers?

Cheers,
Joerg