List:       hsqldb-user
Subject:    [Hsqldb-user] =?utf-8?q?Interpreting_SYSTEM=5FCACHEINFO=2EFILE=5F?= =?utf-8?q?LOST=5FBYTES_for_CACHE
From:       xavier.bruggheman () stepinfo ! com
Date:       2014-08-06 17:20:42

Hi,

I'm embedding HSQLDB v2.3.2 in an application, and I'm trying to use the
FILE_LOST_BYTES column to determine the amount of wasted space and the
percentage of fragmentation of my cache file and trigger either a
CHECKPOINT DEFRAG or SHUTDOWN COMPACT on the embeded database during
application startup when above a configurable percentage or amount.
I'm doing this on application startup rather than using the "SET FILES
DEFRAG" statement to avoid the database going down for a relatively long
time (DB is a couple of GBs) at unpredictable moments while the
application is running.

The issue I'm having is that I'm getting weird values in the
FILE_LOST_BYTES column after a day or two of mixed reads and
insert/update/delete activity. The values in this column grow very large
and above the actual .data file size, most of the time thousands of time
bigger than it, and very much above the capacity of the disk hosting the
database (600 TB...).

For reference, the query I'm using:
SELECT CACHE_FILE, FILE_LOST_BYTES FROM
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SYSTEM_CACHEINFO

Is there something I'm missing ? Maybe the unit for the column isn't
BYTES as the column name implies, or is there something wrong with the
way this information is made available in the information schema ?

Best regards,

Xavier BRUGGHEMAN