List:       hpux-devtools
From:       "Immanuel Litzroth" <immanuel_litzroth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-07-16 13:52:55

We are using a new HP-UX machine PA-8500 processor (uname output HP-UX
goliath B.11.00 U 9000/800).
When we tried to compile a certain program we got the following error
message:
broker.sl: Mishmatched ABI. 64-bit PA shared library found in 32-bit link.

I have some basic questions regarding this:
* Can the compilation create 32-bit libraries, and do they run on this
machine?
* To create 64-bit executables and libraries, do we have to use the +DA2.0w
switch?
* Why does the compiler not generate 64-bit libs and executables
automatically?

I know these questions may be rather basic, so I would appreciate any
pointers to information regarding this 64/32 issue.
Thanks in advance
Immanuel