List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    Re: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: for HP: it's time to fix dmesg
From:       Stan Sieler <sieler () allegro ! com>
Date:       2007-09-22 22:06:59

Re:

> This probably isn't the proper forum for this.  dmesg(1M) isn't really a
> development tool.  Please contact the Response Center to file your
> enhancement request.

Of course it is :)

I use it all the time to communicate debugging/tracing information from
my DLKM driver to me during development.

> >The "man" page says:
> >   "dmesg looks in a system buffer for recently printed diagnostic
> >    messages and prints them on the standard output."
>
> You seem to have forgotten the famous saying "standard is better than
> better".  ;-)

As I pointed out, it can be enhanced in a manner that preserved backwards
compatibility while still providing needed new functionality.

BTW, I can't remember talking to a vendor / user who didn't want the
dmesg buffer bigger :)

> The usage pattern for dmesg is a crontab entry that logs these to a file:
> /usr/sbin/dmesg - >> /var/adm/messages

BTW, I don't know anyone who does the above...most seem to rely on the
messages (hopefully) being copied to syslog (and having a somewhat close
timestamp provided by syslogd).

> >  1. user control over the size.
> >     The default size should be larger, and the user should be able
> >     to specify a different size if needed.
> Stan Sieler
>
> This may have to be a system configuration option, not on the fly.

I didn't specify, because I didn't want the post to be too detailed :)

> >command syntax to enable display of the timestamp, pid, etc.
> >Voila, backwards compatible.
>
> Except for the space resources and adding these extra fields in the
> first place.

As I mentioned in the original post, it would add 8 to 12 bytes per line
(depending upon whether standard (ugh) pid/tids or extended pids/tids are
recorded).

> File that enhancement.

ok.

Keep in mind that the very successful paradigm followed for decades in the
MPE community was public discussion of proposals ... I'm determined to drag
HP-UX (and eventually, Linux) at least from the 1970s into the 1990s, if
not beyond, in this respect :)

thanks,

--
Stan Sieler