List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    RE: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: API's to get the number of CPU's on HP-UX
From:       "Wilbur, Stacey V" <stacey.wilbur () hp ! com>
Date:       2007-08-13 17:38:49

Senthil,

I recently opened a enhancement request because a couple of our ISV's
also has the same need (to get Socket information not just CORE
information) for licensing. JAGag45279
http://chart.hp.com/ddts/ddts_main?LastForm=DumpBug&bug_id=JAGag45279

Currently there is not good solution for getting Socket information
unless you just want it on 11.31.  11.31 supports the use of
psp_sockets_id  (see the JAG).  Also 11.23 supports the programming of
it on 11.23 if you have the patches but 11.23 will not return any valid
data.  It is only intended so that you can execute the 11.23 developed
program on 11.31 and get the information.  I have asked if we can get
this fully supported for 11.23 PA and Integrity.  But not sure if that
will ever happen.

You can use mpctl(2) to get number of CORES both Hyperthreaded and not
using MPC_GETNUMSPUS_SYS and MPC_GETNUMCORES_SYS:
Here are some values returned from a 32 core Montecito with HT turned
ON:

mpctl(MPC_GETNUMSPUS_SYS,0,0)=64
mpctl(MPC_GETNUMCORES_SYS,0,0)=32
mpctl(MPC_GETNUMCORES,0,0)=32

This works on 11.23 and 11.31 and PA-RISC and Integrity as long as you
have the updated patch on 11.23 to support the new mpctl(2) options for
getting CORE information.  You need PHKL_31500 and PHKL_35767 for
mpctl(2) update.

If you need this to support your ISV please add them to the request. By
letting Harshadrai Parekh know about it.  Or add to the Jag if you can?

-Stacey Wilbur