List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    HPUX-DEVTOOLS: kwdb addmodule: Cannot read section header name string table.
From:       Jimmie Mayfield <jimmie-hp () sackheads ! org>
Date:       2005-08-19 23:31:29

Hi.  I'm trying to debug a post-mortem crashdump with kwdb.  The crash
occurred in the interrupt handler of the DLKM I'm writing.  Unfortunately,
kwdb/q4 doesn't seem to be able to unwind the stack:

q4> where
#0  0x20ada4 in panic+0x6c ()
#1  0x25fefc in report_trap_or_int_and_panic+0x94 ()
#2  0x25f218 in interrupt+0x208 ()
#3  0x165a28 in $ihndlr_rtn+0 ()
#4  0x202a04c in <unknown_procedure> ()

'trace event' doesn't succeed, either:

q4> trace event 0
Event selected is 0. It was a panic
#0  0x20ada4 in panic+0x6c ()
#1  0x25fefc in report_trap_or_int_and_panic+0x94 ()
#2  0x25f218 in interrupt+0x208 ()
#3  0x165a28 in lpmc_handler+0x930 ()
#4  0x202a04c in my_driver::?? ()    <--- Trap in Kernel mode

Finally, I attempted to load the module in kwdb with no apparent success:

q4> addmodule my_driver
Processing DLKM module my_driver
debug_dlkm_pp: Cannot read section header name string table.

1) Am I simply doing something wrong?  I understand that the stack trace might
   be a little wonky since the panic occurred in an interrupt context but
   it would be -really- nice to at least have the offending line number. :)

2) Is there a particular way to link a module such that Q4 can load it?
   My driver consists of multiple source files.  I'm using settings in
   mod64.mk to build the individual object files (I added -g to the compile
   step).  To form mod.o, I'm simply using something like the following:

   ld -r -o mod.o $(OBJS)

   I've also tried this with +noobjdebug with no apparent effect.

Any advice/insights welcome.

Thanks.

--
Jimmie Mayfield