List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    Re: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: Question about PA-RISC revisions.
From:       Stan Sieler <sieler () allegro ! com>
Date:       2005-04-07 18:06:29

Re:

> exclusively in the "server" area
> unless you count the HP 9000/835 with a graphics card as a "workstation."  There

Hey, that's the 9000/834 workstation ... *HP Marketing* called it a workstation!
Up until the very day HP needlessly ripped out the code from the HP-UX kernel
that supported the graphics board ...  changing it from a 834 with local X Windows
to a 835 with no graphics :(
(Yeah, I had one, and was using it as a workstation :)

> were even SMP systems out to four CPUs.  Supported OSes were HP-UX and MPE/XL.
> At the time, "RISC" was still considered "risky" by many, so the CPU was called
> HP-PA for Hewlett-Packard Precision Architecture.

The original name was Hewlett-Packard High Precision Architecture ...
I asked Bill Worley and Joel Birnbaum what happened to the "High" in
"High Precision", but they never answered me.  I think it got boxed and filed
away along with the "real time" part of HP-UX for PA-RISC :)
(At the first major public demo of PA-RISC, an HP 9000/840 was doing real
time stuff using a "newton's cradle" (aka "balance balls") toy with the swinging
balls interrupting a light beam to cause interrupts which were then
serviced in real-time, IIRC.)

--
Stan Sieler                                           sieler@allegro.com
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html                  www.sieler.com