List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    Re: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: WHat is the runtime performance hit if we
From:       Carl Burch <cdb () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2003-04-22 18:31:49

> > :: I have few PIC object files that were created with '-z' and '+Z' option to cc

   I'm pretty sure you meant '+z' and '+Z', not '-z'.

> > :: An "archive" is created out of these object files ---> call it libXXX.a
> > :: An application (here Oracle) is linked with this libXXX.a to create the
> > Oracle binary

> > The question I have here is :: How comparable the runtime performance hit
> > would be? I am looking for an fuzzy answer here such as
> > negligible/appriciable/huge/based on usage pattern.

> For '+Z', pretty negligible.

   It depends on whether you're fighting for every percent of performance or not.
Two numbers I recall from different database managers back in the history of
PA-RISC were about 5% for PA in 32-bit mode, and a bit under 3% for PA in 64-bit
mode (compared to non-PIC in both cases).  Obviously, your applications' mileage
will vary.  Note that if your archive is to be linked into a shared library at
your customers' site (as in the Oracle patch model) your code MUST be built with
PIC - unless you arrange to ship both PIC and non-PIC and link the appropriate
archive for the build your customers are doing.

								- Carl