List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    Re:  HPUX-DEVTOOLS: Problems with cc -fast
From:       Dennis Handly <dhandly () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2003-02-20 3:08:05

>1. our code isn't well-behaved enough for the -fast switch

This usually causes problems at runtime.

>I had this error doing what I consider a regular opt (non-PBO) build:
>cc: Internal error 8203.

This is a user problem, though the compiler should say so.  If you look at
/opt/aCC/lib/nls/msg/C/aCC.msgs, you'll see:
8203 memory exhausted at %s Kbytes; try increasing swap space or the maxdsiz
kernel parameter (8203)
$    CAUSE:  Compiler ran out of virtual memory.
$    ACTION: The easiest workaround is to break up your compilation unit
$            into two or more pieces.
$            On HP-UX, this error may also be produced if the system runs
$            out of swap space, so another possible workaround is to
$            increase the amount of swap space available to the system
$            (see your HP-UX system administrator about this). However, this
$            should only be a last-resort action.

You need to increase maxdsiz.

>   Warning at line 0  : Uninitialized variable "op_dblist" in function
>"svResp" (5004)
Greg

You can at least fix this warning.  :-)

>From: Carl Burch <cdb@cup.hp.com>
>Don't worry about (1) - no source error should ever make the compiler abort.

But if you make it sweat too much and goes beyond maxdsiz.... :-)

>There's a good chance this problem is fixed

It is not likely to have "fixed" the out of memory condition.

>   These errors might or might not be related to the HLO problem above.
						- Carl Burch

It probably isn't.