List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    HPUX-DEVTOOLS: Can the binary compiled on 64-bits run on 32-bits machine without
From:       Tong Wang <twang () oasis-technology ! com>
Date:       2002-08-13 14:55:20

Hi folks,

We have to machines: Lisa and Hpacx: LISA (Model: B132L, 32-bits CPU) and
HPACX (Model: D270, 64-bits CPU) belong to two different series. LISA
belongs to HP 9000 700 serie (also the only 700 serie we have), while HPACX
belongs to HP 9000 800 serie.

We have legacy application on Lisa with binary and sources. On lisa we have
the environment to build binary for our client. Our client has the same
machine as Lisa. Each time if there is bug-fix and enchancement, we only
send the binary(part of) to them.

For some reason, we have to remove the lisa machine. We need to move the
legacy application to Hpacx. Before we move, we have to investigate if it's
possible to do that. If all the source and binary are moved to hpacx, can we
only send a bug-fix binary(not all binaries) to our client and run the
application on our client machine(same as lisa) without any modification?
especially scenary like: the shared libraries were compiled on lisa and some
new binaries are compiled under hpacx.   or vice versa.

If you did this migration before or you know feasibility, please kindly send
me an email.  thank you.

tong