List:       hpux-devtools
Subject:    Re: HPUX-DEVTOOLS: 64-bit ELF shared library Vs. 32 bit libraries
From:       "Leslie Damon" <ldamon () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2002-08-09 14:11:29

Ajay asked:
> I am in the process of moving my application to Oracle 9i. My
> Application is a 32 bit application.

and

> Now my question is : If I link my 32 bit binaries with this library,
>would it be legal or can it create problems for me?

As others have mentioned, you can't link the 32 and 64 bit libs together.
This isn't an HP restriction, but exists on all the 64 bit unixes (AIX,
Sun, HP) that I'm aware of.   But, Oracle is being a bit difficult (IMO)
and only releasing their server as 64 bit on HP and AIX.    A real pain for
those of us who aren't ready to ship full 64 bit implementations of our
products.   However, we finally managed to extract the piece of information
from oracle that they do ship the 32 bit client libraries in
<oracledir>/lib32.  So, you can link your client app with these libraries
and run against the 64 bit server 9i server.

Hope this helps,
Leslie