List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re: CXX-DEV: Re: No Subject
From:       Matthew Collins <collins () hpsgns1 ! sgp ! hp ! com>
Date:       2000-11-29 21:01:54

Pravin Bandekar wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thank You for your reply.
> It works now. I increased thread stack size.Since I am using Roguewave threads, I \
> used setStackReserveSize() function to increase RWThread stack size. I increased it \
> to 1M. It is working now. But what should be the exact thread stack size.

That is highly dependent on your program and to a lesser extent
on the libraries, compiler and runtime architecture.  There
are several ways that you could use to determine how much
stack you have used but I'm not sure if there are any 'easy' ways.
If you have any recursive code then you would need to know the
maximum number of recursions.  If you knew what the maximum stack
usage was and set the stack size to be just a bit more than this
then that magic number may not be very useful if you ported the
code to a different OS.

> Also in Solaris is not giving any problem. Why it is giving problem in HPUX?

HPUX has a default stack size of 64k, Solaris I believe is 1M.

Matthew