List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re: CXX-DEV: Fwd: MustFix: Star 103920: Including secall.h in stdafx.h
From:       Alain Miniussi <alainm () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2000-05-19 17:57:10

Dennis Handly wrote:

> >Note that the reference explain why it is illegal, and does not
> >advertise for the ugly this->X (a more elegant alternative, in my
> >opinion, is to import the needed name through "using" declarations).
>
> True.  But using declarations may not work on some older compilers.

It's easy to control that.

> Also adding "this->" is a no brainer.

But to read it is awfull, don't think now, pay latter :-)

> To set up the using declarations
> requires you to know which template class needs them, which access
> section they belong under and which base class contains the
> function/variable.

Not really a problem in practice, I have used both solutions and the
only way to have the this-> working is to ask the compiler where this is
needed, which is a long and painfull process. and then you can miss
one if you have a global X. Using declaration only require a few
compilations cycles.

Also, if this-> was not considered a visual nuissance, why limiting
its use to  templates ?