List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re:  CXX-DEV: Linking with vendor's aCC 1.06 compiled libraries..
From:       Dennis Handly <dhandly () hpcllmx ! cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       1998-02-19 10:30:21

Rich Rauenzahn wrote:
> an application and libraries that were compiled with aCC 1.06 --
> is there any particular reason why I would need to
> use aCC 1.06, or could/should I use aCC 1.09?  What if I'm
> writing shared libraries to be loaded by the application?
> Or instead just linking with their libraries?

>1.06 and 1.09 should be backwards binary compatible.
>If your application contains any A.01.09 modules, however, you should
>make sure you use the run-time support library that was shipped with
> A.01.07 or later.
	Daveed

Unfortunately, if the software vendor is using STL or tools.h++ container
classes, there may be binary incompatibilities when going to A.01.07 runtime.

The problem will occur for classes that are not completely inlined
or if the object is created in a library compiled with the old RW headers
and used in another library compiled with the new RW headers.