List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re:  CXX-DEV: Mixing standard and classic streams libraries
From:       Dennis Handly <dhandly () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2005-04-06 22:22:06

>From: "Napoli, Jerry" <Jerry.Napoli@paymentech.com>
>We've been experiencing an issue with Apache 2.0 running on HPUX 11.23
>(Itanium).  and it appears to be linked with a C++ compiler using classic
>streams (-AP).  Here is an excerpt from ldd:
>/usr/lib/libstd.2 =>    /usr/lib/libstd.2

As you said below, these are PA libs.

>Could we conclude from the information below that this crash is due to
>mixing -AA and -AP code?

Possibly, unless you have a thread stack overflow.

>given that we wish to stick with -AA for our module, would this require us
>to build Apache ourselves with -AA?
Jerry

Most likely.  Though Mario's trick might work.

#0  0xd1e361d8 in __rw::__rw_digit_writer_base::__rw_digit_writer_base at
/opt/aCC/include_std/rw/numbrw:779
#19 0xc005529c in __pthread_start+0x14 /usr/lib/libpthread.1

>From: "Napoli, Jerry" <Jerry.Napoli@paymentech.com>
>The code mentioned below is running on PA-RISC (HPUX 11.11) --

>From: "Maucci, Cyrille" <cyrille.maucci@hp.com>
>You cannot mix -AA or -AP in any way, shape or form

Right.

>From: "Streiber, Mario" <mario.streiber@hp.com>
>I really wonder why this has been done. As far as I
>could see apache is written in pure C. No need to link in a C++ runtime.

This allows plugins to work.  But this is broken.  If you have a plugin
you are responsible to link your libs with the right aC++ runtime.
This would have allowed Apache to work with either -AP or -AA.

http://docs.hp.com/en/6159/distributing.htm#DistLink

>Not necessarily, because it seems the -AP libs are not touched.

The use of static constructors "touches" the lib.

>This will refer to libc a few times more instead of the C++ runtime
>(libc is really loaded only once).

Probably better to create an empty shared lib.

>If you still see the same abort, then I would say there is a bug in your
>code :-)
Mario

Yes.