List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re:  CXX-DEV: Build Errors with -fast +O3 optimization options
From:       Dennis Handly <dhandly () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2004-08-31 1:42:45

>From: niraj.desai@convergys.com
>I am getting compilation errors when trying to build with -fast +O3
>optimization options. The program compiles/links fine without the
>optimization options. I am not sure how to resolve this.

As Carl mentioned, just use +O2 for that one source.
Using +Onoinline may work too.

>Error 5172: Exact position unknown; near Backend Assert
>    ** Excessive or improper nesting of TRYs. (5172)

This is probably saying you have too many trys?  I've seen this on 10.20
and I thought they increased the limit.

>From: Carl Burch <cdb@cup.hp.com>
>   The error is an assertion failure, where the code generator is saying
>that an intermediate code instruction passed to it by the High-Level
>Optimizer is illegal in some way

Hmm, looking at the code indicates they increased the limit, so it
may be an HLO bug.  (Ah, the limit one was Error 5208, and the limit is 300.)

>From: niraj.desai@convergys.com
>I cannot use +noeh since we use C++ exception handling.

(Most likely because you got that error.  ;-)

>aCC -L/usr/lib -lrwtool -AP +DD64 +Z -fast +O3 -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Wl,+s
Why are you using -L/usr/lib for a +DD64 link?  Because of some ISV lib
is in the wrong place?
Also, libraries should be at the end of the link line.

>-DAPortable +DD64 -DRW_NO_STL -DRW_STD_TYPEDEFS
Did you mean +DAportable?
If you are using HP's supplied tools.h++ you can't use -DRW_NO_STL.