List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    CXX-DEV: Best way to detect on Itanium with GNU make
From:       "Donsbach, Jeff" <jeff.donsbach () hp ! com>
Date:       2004-08-24 20:18:43

Johnny Willemsen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am using cxx with GNU make.

You mean aCC ?

>What is the best way to detect in GNU make that we are building on
>PA-RISC or Itanium? Dependent on that we have to pass different
>compiler options (+DA2.0W +DS2.0W or +DD64). I would like to have a
>very portable solution that works with newer and older versions of HPUX

>and also hopefully in the future.

Well, for this specific problem, I just use +DD32 (default without
otherwise specifying) or +DD64 to specify either 32 or 64 bit builds.
That works on both PA-RISC and Itanium. On PA, that will also implicitly
imply +DA2.0W and I believe +DS2.0 as well, so there is no need to
specify them explicitly.

But to answer your question, I would set a variable and use conditionals
in your Makefile(s) based on `uname -m` (ia64 or not), or something like
that.

Jeff D