List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    RE: CXX-DEV: Mixing -AA and -AP shared libraries
From:       Dennis Handly <dhandly () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2004-03-23 1:09:30

>From: Geoffrey Mantel <Geoffrey.Mantel@businessobjects.com>
>The product supports per-thread locales
>It's my understanding that ANSI C is not rich enough to support per-thread
>locale, correct?

If you are using per-thread locales in C++, you will also be killed on
performance.  It will continually be calling setlocale.
And I don't think it will be thread save in all cases.

>We faced a similar situation on AIX, and we were able to roll our own locale
>class, which parses the AIX locale tables directly.  Do you think the same
>could be done on HP?

I believe this is what RW latest SourcePro does.

>Would you be able to point me to any documentation on the internals of
>the locale files?
  -- Geoff

There is:
locale(1), setlocale(3C), charmap(4), localedef(4), environ(5)