List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    RE: CXX-DEV: Issue with PA RISC 1.1 incompatible 3rd party libraries
From:       Carl Burch <cdb () cup ! hp ! com>
Date:       2002-07-29 17:14:25

> Can't you "get lucky" and not have any PA2.0 specific instructions
> generated (fmac for example)? I don't have a pa1.1 machine to test
> on but I thought some PA2.0 binaries would run on PA1.1, and if they
> did, then you could be sure they always would since they don't
> use any PA2.0 specific instructions?

   Nope.  Making the request for DA2.0 marks the .o file as PA2.0.  Since calls
in DA2.0 use the PA2.0 BLL instruction, the only case where you might "get lucky"
would have been in .o files with no calls - not a large enough class to bother
including the logic to set the few .o files that fit that class to PA1.1 instead.

							- Carl Burch
							  HP/iPDL Tech Customer
							  Satisfaction Team