List:       hpux-cxx-dev
Subject:    Re: CXX-DEV: suppress warnings
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-11-21 10:59:56

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Alain Miniussi wrote:

> Haichun Chen wrote:
> >
> > gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-85)
> > sounded pretty recent to me.  But I guess it moves faster than I thought.
> > --Alan
>
> Please note that the 3.0 has a very bad reputation (eg, it is more "advanced"
> but buggy). If you do that move, going directly to GCC 3.0.2 might be a good
> idea (3.0.x are bug fix releases, please reffer to http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/).

A word of warning: even with gcc 3.0.2 you won't be able to link multiple
inheritance + virtual functions code such as

     struct X { virtual ~X(); };
     struct Y { virtual void foo(); };
     struct W : public X, public Y { virtual void foo(); };
     struct Q : public W { };
     void bar() { Q q; }

Crashes /usr/bin/ld on HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00. Probably due to invalid gcc
output (reported as gcc  PR #4878) but it would be nice if someone at HP
could make ld to spit out a diagnostic error message instead.

Harri.