List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] Printing over WAN
From:       Joe Fletcher <joe () meng ! ucl ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-11-30 12:04:55

Hi All,

I've got a Printronix printer hooked up to an L2000 to do some label
printing. The two devices are widely separated and are linked over a
fairly tortuous network involving T1 lines, multiple firewalls, frame
relay, multiple NAT; you name it it's in there. The resulting connections
are less than spectacular in terms of performance. What we are seeing is
that a number of jobs will get queued to the printer, some will print then
there will be a pause of several minute when a few more will print. Jobs
are mainly labels and barcodes btw. We found that by increasing a tcp
timeout value on the printer's ethernet card we could imporve the
reliability of the setup. However we've hit the maximum value at the
printer end. Is there anywhere at the HP-UX end where I can modify
timeouts/keepalives etc on this print queue?

Cheers

Joe