List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] [SUMMARY] OmniBack through Firewal
From:       Daniele Dal Verme <d_d_v () yahoo ! com>
Date:       1999-11-30 8:50:00

Thank's to all for the answers.
This is the summary:

We tried to do this - however it will require you to
open too many
ports, causing a MAJOR security risk.  We have finally
just put a
seperate Cell Server on the other side of the
firewall.

OB cannot backup thru FireWall but only be controlled
thru
it(port:5555)....
meaning, the DiskAgent and MediaAgent should be on the
same side of the FireWall.
What you can do is have an omniback server on one side
of
the FireWall and the backed up host and the tape on
the
other side of the FireWall.
We do this by creating a secure tunnel from the
machine outside the
firewall
to the machine inside the firewall.  I'm not sure if
this is the best
way to
do it, but it works for us.

Original question:

Hi Admins,

Somebody can help me find documentation or URLs
related to OmniBack II configuration through
firewalls?
We need to deploy our OmniBack Cell(s) and we have
disk agent in both side of the Firewall.
There is a convenient configuration that we must
consider to deploy our OmniBack environment?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Daniele Dal Verme
Unix System Administrator
d_d_v@yahoo.com