List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] JFS Performance
From:       tmb () mars ! superlink ! net
Date:       1996-03-29 10:16:57

We are new to Unix (our "training" machine was brought in about 3 months
ago) and are just at the stage of setting up the first machine that will be
eventually used for production (a K410 connected to an EMC Symmetrix disk
unit); it will be running an Oracle database application.  Based on an HP-UX
10.X Adminstration class I recently went to and discussions with various
consultants involved with the project, I thought it would be a good idea to
use the JFS file system for at least all of the user file systems, and
possibly EVERY file system that supports it (i.e. every file system except
root.)  However some very simple benchmarks that our  HP consultant did to
test its performance (setting up scripts to copy files of various sizes and
timing them) seem to show that it can be a significantly slower performer
than HFS.  I have not learned enough about JFS yet to have a good handle on
how to set up the various tunable parameters such as block size, etc., and
so haven't seen it at its best.  Does anyone have experience with maximizing
the performance of JFS in a database environment, or experiences that would
cause them to recommend using either JFS or HFS in production?