List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] Request:  Cert Procs after moving HP equipment
From:       weaver%foghorn () nadc ! nadc ! navy ! mil
Date:       1996-02-29 14:08:22

Hello Workstation Wizards!

We have a network of about 30 machines, including Sun workstations, HP
workstations, and some PC's and Mac's.  We are planning to relocate;  our
network will be dismantled and driven to another site, and then reassembled.

We have been tasked with writing certification procedures to verify that
nothing "awful" happened during the move.

Question 1:  Have any of you out there dealt with this situation, and perhaps
             already have some certification procedures for HP workstations
             (HP 750's in particular) which verify that machines and/or network
             is working properly?

Question 2:  Can any of you offer me some ideas and insights as to types of
             things that I should include in the procedure?  (such as
             diagnostics I should run to make sure the hardware is working
             properly, the network is working properly, etc.)

I am particularly interested in ways to verify my Unix machines (but I won't
shun any ideas offered on the PC's and Mac's ...)  Also, I'm not in a position
to buy lots of cool diagnostic tools;  readily available/public domain stuff
is how I need to go.

Thanks in advance for any help -- and I'll be happy to summarize (especially
since I have to do it anyway!)

Lorraine Williams
weaver@foghorn.nadc.navy.mil