List:       hpux-admin
Subject:    [HPADM] reboot necessary after setting time back?
From:       Harm Ensing <ensin001 () hdxh0e ! unix ! telecom ! ptt ! nl>
Date:       2004-03-31 14:11:08

Hello,

I scanned the archive but could not find an appropriate answer.

My problem is that we have system where the clock has been set formard by one hour.
A mistake often made aund this time of year. Ofcourse the TZ variable should have \
been used. However, the problem now exists.

We want to reset te time, so go back to the future.
Some of my colleagues are pertinent that a reboot of the system is necessary after \
using the date command.

As far as I can tell a reboot should not be necessary. Stopping all critical (user) \
processes should be sufficient.

Any views on this matter?

BTW, I am aware that 'going back in time' can have serious implications for certain \
applications like Oracle databases, but that is another matter.

-Harm Ensing-