List:       hostap
Subject:    Supported IEEE802.11 stds by a BSS
From:       Jose Blanquicet <blanquicet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-07-27 8:07:35

Good morning,

We are trying to understand which IEEE802.11 stds (a, b, g, n-only,
b/g/n-mixed, ac, n/ac ..) are supported by a BSS by parsing the BSS
properties reported by wpa_supplicant.

This is the method we are using based on BSS properties:

B is supported -> If property "Rates" includes: 1, 2, 5.5 and 11 Mbit/sec.
A is supported -> If maximum rate from "Rates" is greater than
11Mbit/sec and "Frequency" is 5GHz.
G is supported -> If maximum rate from "Rates" is greater than
11Mbit/sec and "Frequency" is 2.4GHz.
N is supported -> If HT Capabilities IE is present in "IEs" property.
AC is supported -> If VHT Capabilities IE is present in "IEs" property.

Does it make sense?

If so, the next step is that we want to know when it is n-only or
b/g/n-mixed or a/n-mixed mode. Is it possible to conclude that by
checking the HT Protection field? Or any other field present in HT
Capabilities or HT Information IE?

In addition, is it possible also to do something similar for AC? I
mean, how could we know if that BSS supports only-ac or n/ac or
a/n/ac?

Thanks,

Jose Blanquicet