List:       hostap
Subject:    Re: Differences between hostapd and wpa_supplicant
From:       Jouni Malinen <j () w1 ! fi>
Date:       2014-04-29 14:58:25

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:37:32AM +0200, Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
> I can see that wpa_supplicant can be put to AP mode via D-Bus (connman
> does it for it's tethering mode).
>
> What are differences and limitations of this approach compared to full hostapd?

wpa_supplicant allows basic AP configuration, but does not include
support for most of the parameters than can be used to fine-tune
operations or enable various features like WPA2-Enterprise (RADIUS
server for authentication). If you look at hostapd/hostapd.conf and
compare that to the simple example configuration for AP mode operation
in wpa_supplicant.conf, you'll get a picture of the set of parameters
that are not available through wpa_supplicant for AP mode.