List:       hostap
Subject:    architecture for interfacing with wpa_supplicant
From:       Christian Scheid <cxscheid () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-15 18:41:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

we would like to develop an interface between a C-based control program that
interfaces directly with the device drivers of a network device and the wpa
supplicant which would run as a service. This implementation would use
EAP-TLS and EAP-TTLS. I would like to ask for a recommendation on the
suggested architecture since I don't have much experience with the
wpa_supplicant.

My first question is about the interface to the device. In our architecture,
the control program already interfaces with the device driver, listens for
EAP packages, and can process them. I know the supplicant can be extended to
directly interface with the driver. Should I forward EAP packages from the
control program to/from the supplicant, or write an adapter to the
wpa_supplicant that reads/sends packages to the device driver directly? In
this second option how would I implement a notification mechanism to the
control program to report the EAP status?

My second question is about customization points to the wpa_supplicant for
the proposed architecture. So for example if the recommended architecture is
to write a device adapter for the supplicant, which files/functions should I
modify (or should I just use other device adapters as a sample)? And in this
architecture which files/functions should I modify to report status to the
secondary control program?

I appreciate any comments on this topic!

Thanks in advance!

dutch