List:       horde-doc
Subject:    Re: [doc] Typo or not?
From:       Jan Schneider <jan () horde ! org>
Date:       2003-04-10 0:05:01

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Jan Schneider <jan@horde.org>:
>
> > >From docs/PERFORMANCE:
> > * Enable php output compression.
> >
> > Shouldn't this rather read "Enable php output buffering"?
>
> It was meant to mean zlib.output_compression, and should be expanded
> to not that newer Horde versions have $conf['compress_pages'] = true;
> to control the same function...
>
> Definately not worded well, or complete, but I don't think it is wrong.
>
> I don't see where setting output buffering would gain much in
> performance,
> unless it was done as part of setting output compression (e.g. an
> output handler) as above.  Am I wrong here?

>From php.ini:

Enabling output buffering typically results in less writes, and sometimes
less packets sent on the wire, which can often lead to better performance.
The gain this directive actually yields greatly depends on which Web server
you're working with, and what kind of scripts you're using.

Output compression in return reduces load on the wire but increases load on
the server.

Jan.