List:       horde
Subject:    Re: [horde] Repeated Remote Wipe
From:       simon () simonandkate ! net
Date:       2013-09-24 0:54:34

> On 24 Sep 2013, at 10:14 am, Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk@horde.org> wrote:
>

> Quoting simon@simonandkate.net:
>
> > I had to wipe my wife's iPhone yesterday as it got completely in a
> > knot, and couldn't even be reset from the device. I used the Horde
> > remote wipe, which worked. The phone rebooted, factory reset, and I
> > restored from iCloud backup. Horde told me that the device was wiped
> > in the AS device console.
> >
> > Now for the bit that did not work properly:
> >
> > When the device came back up, with restored settings that included
> > the connection to horde, it contacted the horde server. The Horde
> > server sent another wipe command, and the phone proceeded to repeat
> > the wipe process.
> >
> > Even though it was seen as "Device wiped" the wipe command had not
> > been cleared and so was re-communicated upon new provisioning.
> >
> > To stop the cycle I removed the device from AS console, and it then
> > reconnected as a new device, and did not wipe again.
> >
> > Is that "working as designed" or an oversight?
>
> The former. The device pairing must be explicitly removed from the
> server in order to allow the device to connect again. This forces the
> user/admin to ensure that the device wipe was reported as successful
> before the device is allowed to connect again.
> --
> mike

Thanks Mike. I'd suggest that needs to be explicitly stated somewhere on the AS admin \
page.

When the "Device wiped" message is triggered, there is no indication that the wipe \
command is still active, rather the admin is told that it is done. Whilst I worked \
out what I thought it was doing, as confirmed by you above, it is not intuitive.

Something along the lines of "Device wiped. Note that the device will wipe again on \
reconnection attempt. To allow this device to reconnect remove the device by clicking \
"Remove"." Or something along those lines...

What do you think?
Simon