List:       helix-video-dev
Subject:    Re: [hxvideo] cr for adding SMIL support and RGB32 blt'ing  to   MINI-Site
From:       "Greg Wright" <gwright () real ! com>
Date:       2003-09-11 19:15:26

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Hyche" <ehyche@real.com>

> RGB24 is usually NOT packed in 4 bytes - it's only packed
> in 3. However, I just realized that in the unified renderer,
> since we are having the Symbian OS decode the image, we can
> already tell it to decode the image to whatever the preferred
> display is, which is RGB444, right? Something like:

3byte packed rgb24 isn't much of a problem either.

> 0000rrrr ggggbbbb
>
> where 0, r, g, b are bits, right?

Yes, RGB444 is 0x0RGB packed in two bytes, at least the frame
buffer on the 3650 is configured that way.

> Also, how do I find out from the surface what is it's
> "preferred" RGB format (i.e. - the one that takes the
> cheapest color conversion)?

Well, Chris is working on some video architecture changes that
will have a more intelligent color format negotiation process
between the surface and the renderers. As it sits right now
though, there is no way to tell what the video devices format
is.

Right now, if you just output all images as RGB32 it will be
the fastest route to a working SMIL site and image renderers.
Later, as we have time, we can look into a more efficient
image handling. Even if we could output in RGB444 right now
I don't think I have a 444to444 converter, which we still need
for scaling. Also, images should not be that cpu intensive as
we don't have blending, animation or transitions right now.

--greg