List:       helix-open-discuss
Subject:    [Open-discuss] Re: devdocs directory
From:       Rishi Mathew <rmathew () real ! com>
Date:       2005-07-16 19:39:08

This is a MIME-formatted message.  If you see this text it means that your
E-mail software does not support MIME-formatted messages.

David,

(cc'ing open-discuss)
Thanks for your comments. See inline..

At 01:45 PM 7/13/2005, David Hirayama wrote:
>Rishi,
>As a total newcomer to the Linux scene, I can't really weigh in on your
>proposed process per se. I'm simply not familiar enough yet with the Helix
>environment to do so. As such, my comments (for now) mostly pertain to
>readability and presentation. Pending your reply, I think I'll be able to
>comment on the process itself.
>
>As a general comment, I found I had to study your doc to grok it. It
>shouldn't have to be so hard. If you're amenable to my comments, other
>future newbies will have an easier time digesting it.
>1) Is the scope of your doc just FRD and SODs?
>The title is inconsistent with the range you specify for the TTT field
>(which includes MRD and USR).

Based on your suggestion, the scope now includes Test Plans as well.
It is a 3-char field and it does NOT have to be an absolute acronym(which
takes the 1st letter of the 1st 3 words)

>2) Can you provide some examples, especially with regard to locating
>documents?
>You provide verbal descriptions. Much easier to understand would be
>explicit examples for the location of each doc type. And even better would
>be examples that tie in with a specific project (so that I, as the reader,
>can browse through CVS to trace out what you're saying and see actual docs).

I think we discussed this in the meeting, so document browsing can be done
through other ways rather than CVS-browsing

>3) Can you provide an exec overview of the whole process?
>It'd be very helpful if you list the basic steps (w/o their details) in
>the Intro. As is, this info is weaved into the detailed descriptive text.
>Something like the following would serve as a great visual reference while
>navigating through the denser detailed info:
>   1 - Sign the Contributor Agreement
>   2 - Name your document
>   3 - Write your document
>   4 - Find its proper location
>   5 - Notify the community
>   6 - Incorporate community feedback
>   7 - Wait for final approval
>   8 - Begin development

Done.

>4) Do all feature specs go under \Common?
>In your step #5, I think you're saying there are only two types of docs:
>feature-level docs and product-level docs. Feature-level docs go in
>\Common. Product-level docs go in product level directories. Is this
>correct? If so, remove the verbage "if you want to change a feature"
>because it implies the case "if you want to change something else" and you
>don't speak to this latter case.

I am hoping to make a change so that we have all client-side docs in 1
location helix-client/www/[year]/devdocs, making it easily browseable
through the "Docs" tab of the project. Same for "player" "helix-server" and
"helix-producer"

>5) So how do the docs to which you refer in steps #5 and #6 differ??
>You mention feature-level and product-level docs in step #5. These docs go
>in \Common or \<product>.
>You mention "public documentation" in step #6. These docs go in
>/cvsroot/<project>/www/<year>/devdocs.
>What's the difference between these two doc classes? What's the rationale
>for putting them in different places? Can you convey this info to the reader?

See above.

>6) What about test plan submission?
>Is this covered somewhere else? If not, why not expand the scope of your
>proposed doc to cover them? Might as well since it's an incremental effort
>to do so now rather than going through this process again for test plans
>at some future time.

Done.

Thanks,
Rishi.